Thursday, December 13, 2012

Lesson of the Day: American National Anthem

I've realized that since being in Australia, I've sung the American national anthem more times than I ever have in the States in the 27 years I've been alive. It's happened randomly at bars, during a game of Never Have I Ever, and out on the streets. For some reason, I have this newfound patriotism since being in Australia. When I lived in London, I tried to acclimate to the culture there (by singing God Save the Queen and Chelsea FC chants) and almost turned back on the States altogether. However, since being Down Under, I've rekindled my love affair with the States, so much so that apparently Diana and I bust into an intense rendition of the national anthem wherever we deem appropriate.

Last Sunday night, Diana and I went out to bars in the South Yarra neighborhood in Melbourne. We randomly stumbled upon a bar with an apparently good enough vibe that it enticed us to stay for a couple glasses of wine. We struck up a conversation with a Brit and an Aussie. At first I was talking to the Brit (obviously) when Diana informed me that I needed to switch with her because I had more in common with the Aussie. Fair enough. He then word vomited all over me his love for the States. He said he wanted to go to grad school there (I gave him advice where to go) and join a frat (I said not too). Also, he asked me if it was true if every American college girl sleeps with a guy after every party. I then informed him he watched too many American Pie movies. Then, somehow, Diana and I started singing the national anthem for this Aussie. As we neared the end of the anthem, he joined in on "freeeeeeeeeeee" and I swear there was a tear in his eye.

I've had my fair share of ups and downs with America, but at the end of the day...."I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free." (And don't worry, Diana and I have also sang this in public as well...)

No comments:

Post a Comment